Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Don't fear the Ides of March

Today was being billed as "D-Day." The day that new password complexity rules went into effect. Vacation time was canceled and a spree of hiring was implemented to fill seats in anticipation of an incredible call volume. Managers were visibly stressed. Conference calls with support we ready to go at a moment's notice.

All for naught.

Today went pretty much like any Wednesday. In fact, I think I had fewer password calls today than I did yesterday. I think this is the lightest Wednesday we've had in months.

So, I have pointed that fact out to my Team Lead and re-submitted my request for Friday off. Why should I be punished when the reason to have my time off rejected has just evaporated? Of course, if my request is rejected again I'm still not coming in of Friday, but I may be able to avoid that particular act of insubordination.

That is, if reason and fair play somehow takes hold.

No comments: