Sunday, March 04, 2007

Acute numbness

I've spent a lot of time, effort and money in an attempt to prevent numbness while riding my bike, and for the most part I have been successful. The best gloves I've been able to find so far are the Trico Handshock 1000 which, for the most part, prevents numbness in my hands (although I still think the padding could be better distributed). My saddle is a Serfas RX which helps prevent circulation problems. . . elsewhere.

Today, with the riding season approaching, I put my bike up on the trainer and rode it stationary for several hours. Even though the bike geometry was the same and my geometry is the same as when I'm riding on the trail or the road, there was enough different that I experienced not only numbness in my hands and. . . elsewhere, my knee also bothered me some. All things being equal, things are not equal.

I've been thinking of getting yet another seat. I've gone through four saddles looking for the best one and have settled on the Serfas RX but think that perhaps I should do away with the horn all together. If having the seat between my legs causes circulation problems, do away with it. The Spiderflex bike saddle has no horn. It also costs $90. They have a 30-day money back guarantee so at least I get a chance to try it out. I get paid on Friday so I might order it and give it a go.

No comments: