Monday, April 23, 2007

Two steps foreward. . .

In troubleshooting my issue with getting wireless connectivity on my Ubuntu laptop last week, I signed onto the WPLUG (Western PA Linux Users Group) IRC channel. I worked with someone there for quite some time with no success. The suggestion was made to upgrade from v6.06 to the due to come out any minute v7.04.

Before going to Erie for the weekend I had time to download the install disk but then realized that the disk is only for a clean install. I didn't have the time to upgrade through the web and left it for when I came back.

Yesterday, I completed the upgrade and suddenly lost my 1024x768 screen. I was stuck with 640x480. Ugh! I sifted through the forum archives, found some troubleshooting efforts but was unable to get it to work right. Since I didn't really have anything installed, I decided to wipe the whole thing out and start from scratch with a clean install.

That seemed to go normally. It didn't solve my wireless issue, however. And then, the laptop would not shut down. It would go through the unload bar and hang at a splash screen. I could manually power off but then the next reboot would hang after the splash at a blank screen. I would reboot again to the same result. The next reboot might come up normally or it may take a few more attempts.

The last lines of the system log before each restart is:
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready
message handler not found under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth0 for sub-path eth0.dbus.get.reason


eth1 refers to the network card so I popped the network card and shutdown. It hung at the splash screen shutting down. It froze again booting up but the next reboot worked. The log had that message handler error again but not the link not ready message.

. . . one step back.

No comments: