Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Help on the way

The so-called "help on the way" from last week has apparently arrived in the form of at least four new faces at the Help Desk. Since I have been toiling away in my own little 48 square foot solitary confinement gulag, I hadn't noticed their arrival on the floor earlier this week. I recall that when I was still the Help Desk trainer, the first day would involve taking all the new analysts around the cubicles to meet their coworkers. I guess they don't do that anymore.

What's the point? Of the people that they hired in the past six months (without employing my services as trainer) only about a quarter of them are still around. Not a very good burn rate. But, I had warned them explicitly about that. Treat these people like crap, don't give them the tools they need to do the job, and they will be gone faster than it took to bring them in.

I wonder how long this batch will last.

No comments: