Friday, June 01, 2007

Icebreaker

I only just today learned how much power Team Lead D. held at the Help Desk when Team Lead R. asked to talk to me at the end of the day.

He was giving me something of a head's up concerning the possibility of the Site Manager approaching me to do training again. So, in a year and a half since I discovered that I was no longer the Trainer, one week with my arch nemesis gone and the pendulum may be swinging back.

In a year and a half, Team Lead R. never talked to me but now he's saying conciliatory things like "I never had anything bad to say about you."

In six months of being here, the Site Manager has never even hinted that I could be involved in training and even in one conversation seemed to state that the door to that path was closed at a higher level than he could open yet now those doors seem to be opening.

The question, of course, is what might be waiting on the other side. I've been burned and burned very badly so I'm not going to just step on through. Before I invest that emotional capital, I must know that I am going to compensated. I want a title and the pay that goes along with it or, at the very minimum, more pay for my greater responsibilities. That point is non-negotiable. I will not invest myself for nothing.

And I won't accept the promise to "look into it." That happened the last time to no results. There have been too many empty promises. This time I want something real. I want it in writing.

These are strange days, indeed.

No comments: