Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The following is entirely inappropriate.

So, I went to this website that rates your blog much like a movie rating (G, PG, PG-13, etc). I thought it odd that my blog earned a PG-13 rating not for my repeated use of the word fuck and asshat but instead got flagged for using crap.

So, I made a page that I could test a few things with. I started with the FCC's Seven Words You Can't Say on TV; shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. I added a handful of other things I thought fairly common. Whore earned an R rating. I removed it. Slut rated a PG-13. Removing that earned a PG rating because of the word cocksucker.

This shows me that their program doesn't show you all the reasons it rates your site the way it does, just a few.

Getting rid of a few more and I finally earned a G rating with the words shit, piss, motherfucker and tits leftover from the original seven. It thought cum was a bad word but it didn't frag my G rating because of it. With motherfucker, tits, bugger and cumshot it gave me the message "No bad words were found."

This shows up some very serious flaws in their rating system. It got me thinking about how perverse, depraved and offensive a blog one could write while still earning a G for General Audiences rating. With motherfucker, tits, bugger and cumshot available, it sounds like it would be fairly easy.

Whats my blog rated

No comments: