Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Bagging the sun.


I purchased an iSun solar cell charger. About the size of a paperback book, it will power just about any small electronic device (2 watts output) or, with it's battery pack, charge 10 AA batteries. I haven't had a chance to really play with it but I wanted it so that I could be sure not to run out of power for things like my GPS or cell phone when I'm out on the trail riding my bike or hiking for days at a time away from civilization.

Solar panels can be somewhat delicate so I wanted to get a bag to carry and protect it. During lunch I went to a luggage place on Liberty Avenue because I know they have plenty of bags of all sizes. There were some things that were close but either didn't have enough for the cables and other accessories or was too large. The salesman had a few other things but eventually came up with a bag that was nearly perfect.

$125.00 !

That's insane! I'm not going protect my sensitive electronic equipment with a bag worth more than the device. I'd need to get a bag to protect the bag.

So, I went next door to the Broadway Army-Navy Store and immediately found something that was wholly adequate.

$8.99.

No comments: