Monday, December 10, 2007

Treated like dirt.

I received a call from a user that was reporting their system slow. I asked about whether it was everything or just when she was connecting to network resources. She said it was network resources and when I pinged her workstation I indeed saw some network slowness. Nothing spectacular but it was there. I asked if it was just her or if other people were having problems as well. She asked a coworker and they were slow as well.

I opened a ticket with the following text:

GEIS
NETWORK SLOWNESS/SOMEWHERE
MULTIPLE USERS AT LOCATION REPORTS SYSTEMS SLOW
APPEARS TO BE NETWORK RELATED, NO TIMEOUTS THOUGH

PINGING WORKSTATIONID.BANKDOMAIN.COM [XX.XXX.XXX.XX]
REPLY FROM XX.XXX.XXX.XX: BYTES=32 TIME=113MS
REPLY FROM XX.XXX.XXX.XX: BYTES=32 TIME=150MS
REPLY FROM XX.XXX.XXX.XX: BYTES=32 TIME=274MS
REPLY FROM XX.XXX.XXX.XX: BYTES=32 TIME=60MS
The ticket went up to support and was set back to the Help Desk with the following comments from the tech:
SENDING BACK TO HELPDESK. NOT SURE WHO
MADE THE CALL AS STATED ABOVE "APPEARS TO BE
NETWORK RELATED". WHO DETERMINED THIS? WHAT
ARE THE SYMPTOMS? WHOLE SITE OR JUST ONE USER?
WHO RESEARCHED PROBLEM TO DETERMINE NETWORK
PROBLEM?
You asked "who made the call"? It was me. My name is right there at the top. See?

"Who determined this?" It was ME and I used a ping. See? The ping shows that the network is slow.

"What are the symptoms?" There it is right there; the systems are slow. Slow performance with a higher ping time are symptoms that tend to indicate something to do with the network.

"Whole site or just one user?" First line says "multiple users." Can't you fucking read?

"Who researched this to determine it was a network problem?" It was ME, you frelling halfwit! It's all right there! Arrogant moron, open your eyes!

This support person was so upset that someone at the Help Desk would DARE to come to some sort of troubleshooting conclusion that they completely forgot what they had just read. And they put this ignorance into the ticket for everyone to see.

So, I took it up the the Site Manager for him to see what sort of idiots they take us for. I told him that I don't have to stand for this sort of childish, belittling and bullying treatment. I'm a professional and I deserve to be treated as one.

We'll see if anything comes of that.

No comments: