Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dude, I'm gettin' a Dell.

My laptop is on the way:

Inspiron E1505 N
Intel® Pentium® dual-core proc T2080(1MB Cache/1.73GHz)
Ubuntu Edition version 7.04
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7300 TurboCache™
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g

With the discount I got from MeanCoupons.com the cost is going to be $722 plus shipping.

2 comments:

Braden said...

You cannot go wrong with Ubuntu 7.04, I've been running it on my laptop and it makes using m laptop a pleasure again.

Nice specifications, by the way. Not a bad price, either!

Enjoy.

Der Geis said...

I can't say that "I can't go wrong Ubuntu." If you've read my previous blogs on the subject you'll see that there have been plenty of goings wrong including, most importantly, the murder of my previous laptop. I don't particularly blame Ubuntu for that, it was an older laptop, but my migration away from Windows has not been painless.

Most recently, on my Ubuntu desktop I have found that if I have the monitor power saver applied, the system will freeze. Just a screen saver is OK but trying to have the system power off the monitor crashes the system. I've looked on the forums and it seems to be a known bug to which there is yet to be a resolution. It's minor. I can work around it. But an issue nonetheless.

I have gotten my iPod working again, though.